ZONING | MAGNET PROGRAMS | OTHER PROGRAMS | CHARTER SCHOOLS | VIRTUAL SCHOOL
The School Board of Alachua County (SBAC) oversees public education throughout the county | SBAC WEBSITE
Students are required to attend their zoned school or a magnet program. Bus transportation is provided as long as students do not live close enough to walk or ride a bicycle. Public schools are located in Gainesville and in outlying towns.
Elementary School Districts Map | High School District Map
Special programs at individual schools are designated as Magnet Programs. Usually students must apply and be accepted in order to attend such a program, and transportation is provided from anywhere within the county.
Other programs serve students with particular needs, such as ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), ESE (Exceptional Student Education), Deaf Education, etc.
The State of Florida established the charter school program to expand educational choices. Charter Schools are publicly financed, tuition free and operate under their own boards of directors and oversight from the School Board of Alachua County. Charter schools must meet all state educational standards although they are given flexibility in teacher hiring, length of the school day and curriculum options. In Alachua County, charter schools tend to have smaller student populations, longer school days and a particular mission or focus.
Florida is a leader in distance learning provided through a combination of online instruction, home activities and teacher phone calls. Virtual schooling is available grades K – 12. Increasingly, virtual schooling is being used as an option for students who are being home schooled, in order to meet Florida educational standards and receive curriculum and professional support.
- Students in Alachua County public schools earn the highest SAT scores in the state, well above national averages.
- The district has the highest rate of passed Advanced Placement tests in the state.
- National Champions: The Buchholz Math Team has won the national title for five years in a row and holds eight consecutive first place wins in the state.
- Eastside High School is ranked as the 17th best high school in the U.S., with an acclaimed International Baccalaureate (IB) Program and the top Culinary Institute in Florida with seven national first place titles in the last nine years.
- Gainesville High School prides itself on the arts and offers a flexible mix of academic programs, including Advanced Placement (AP), Honors, and courses provided as part of the Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education.
- The Professional Academy Magnet at Loften High School provides a 4-hour block schedule and small student body to provide an exceptional experience and one of the highest graduation rates in the county.